TRANSFORM – Leadership and Transformation Learning Package on Building and Managing Social Protection Floors in Africa, was developed for and is recognised by the African Union. The prime objective of TRANSFORM is to build critical thinking and capacities of policy makers and practitioners at national and decentralized levels in the African region to improve the design, effectiveness and efficiency of social protection systems.The initiative aims at constant joint development and updating of the material, recognising the importance of growing regional expertise.
TRANSFORM was developed through a collaboration between African social protection experts and Africa-based experts of UN-agencies ILO, UNICEF and UNDP, and delivered in partnership with socialprotection.org. It was developed with support of the European Union Social Protection Systems Programme (EU-SPS), particularly the Government of Finland, and was further co-financed by Irish Aid.
African regional trainers who have the competences and the motivation to contribute to the further development of the TRANSFORM Social Protection Learning Package and its delivery in the region can be trained into Master Trainers and be involved in delivering capacity strengthening across the continent. It is envisaged that the trainers will form part of a TRANSFORM community, bringing delivery to countries in the region on national and regional level and at the same time be part of developing TRANSFORM further.
This e-course is an adaption of the TRANSFORM training package and proposed activities from the face-to-face training. The e-course is developed in a linear curriculum, which integrates several content areas, elements and activities.
The TRANSFORM e-course is organised in a modular structure offering 10 modules:
- Introduction Module
- 1. Selection & Identification
- 2. Legal Framework
- 3. Administration
- 4. Monitoring & Evaluation
- 5. Management Information System
- 6. Coordination
- 7. Governance
- 8. Financing and Financial Management
- Final Module
The online course will last for 10 weeks and each of the 10 modules will have a specific proposal, as well as period for completion of 1 week (amounting to 5 hours of activity per week). The first week of the course will provide participants with an introduction to the course approach and concepts, and the last week will be dedicated to the completion of the final assignment.
TRANSFORM 3rd run
The course provides different types of activities:
- Group activities enable you to interact synchronously to exchange ideas and knowledge;
- Discussion activities enable you to reflect individually about a specific topic to posteriorly interact with fellow participants;
- Individual Activities allow you to reflect individually on a given topic;
- Country Activities give you the chance to reflect about the situation of your home country or a country you have familiarity with based on a given scenario;
- L&T (Leadership & Transformation) Activities invite you to reflect on a scenario in which you are the protagonist.
At the end of the course, participants will receive a certification of completion if your total score is 70 points or above.
To get the most out of this learning experience and obtain the certification, you are expected to:
- engage in the discussion forums;
- accomplish the activities; and
- submit your final assignment.
What will you learn
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Have an overview and enough basic knowledge of Social Protection Floors and drivers of change and leadership requirements to engage in transformation towards national systems of social protection;
- Have an overview of the following main interconnected areas of Social Protection Frameworks: Selection & Identification, Legal, Administration, Monitoring & Evaluation, Management and Information Systems, Coordination, Governance, and Financing and Financial Information.
- Understand why and how a Social Protection Floor is beneficial to your specific county context and how it can assist social and economic development.
- Understand that a social protection system comprises different parts – all of which interact with and affect each other.
- Understand the need to adapt and tailor a social protection system to each specific country context. Every situation and time is so unique and requires constant adaptation based on practice and experience.
- Subject choices regarding the design of social protection systems to careful analysis of capacity considerations to address governance and administration gaps.
- Applying a rights-based approach as a lens by which to develop social protection systems and understand that these approaches go beyond a country’s legal framework, by actually putting citizens at the center of the development of managing and administering social protection systems.
Eligibility: Social Protection Professionals
Duration: 10 weeks
Commitment: 5 hours / week
Topic: Social Protection Floors